About a month ago, I decided to make Satoshi Kamiya's Bahamut design on a whim. I always hated this design. I'd folded it a few times before from diagrams, but I could never quite get the head right - it was always too small to fold cleanly. I also think the legs and arms always come out very short and stupid looking. I've only seen one or two good Bahamut's out there.
At any rate, after folding the Ancient Dragon from CP a couple times recently, I decided I should also learn how to do Bahamut from CP. First up, I redrew the pattern myself. The reference was some kind of 1/2^n along the diagonal I believe.
The next step was to figure out how to fold the head. The details of the head portion of the CP in the book are very small and hard to see, and several folds are missing from it. The first thing I did was isolate a small portion of the CP involving the head so that I could testfold the base and then use the diagrams to complete the remaining shaping steps:
Shown above is the rough section that I testfolded.But the next day I woke up and actually decided to fold it. The entire process was about 1 full day over winter break.
I didn't take many progress pictures of the early base, so these are all progress steps roughly following the diagrammed sequence (and at some point basically just following the diagrams since the structure of Bahamut is so bizarre that I didn't feel like guessing from the pattern).












No comments:
Post a Comment